Tuesday, October 16, 2012

On My Soap Box

After researching recipes, I decided to try my hand at making soap. I made a list of the oils I needed and struck out to town. The oils weren't a problem- we have a local health food store that had everything I wanted with the exception of the palm oil. It was the lye I couldn't find.

The recipes all said that lye could be found at the supermarket by drain cleaners. So I checked three stores. Finally, frustrated, I asked where the lye was and was told that most stores no longer carry because people were making meth out of it!

So now, we honest folks can't buy a decongestant that works without standing in line and signing over our first-born (ironically, it's harder to buy Sudafed than it is to vote), and we can't enjoy good, clean, soapmaking fun!

All this regulation has reduced the availability of American Made Meth, so now it's mostly imported from Mexico. I'm sure all the Americans living along the border appreciate that one.... And let us not forget the drug cartels- Al Qaeda connection.

Alright, I'm off my soap box now, time for some pictures of the soap. My friend Annette came through with the lye for this batch and I've ordered more online. This is a lavender goat milk soap. I think it came out well for my first attempt. I couldn't find very many goat milk recipes online. I'd appreciate any recipes my readers would be willing to share!


Here is everything weighed out and the lye mixed with water. The hard oils are on the stove melting.

 
All mixed together and in my makeshift soda can box mold.


I probably could have cut these more evenly... I should have made the mold a little bigger so the soap wasn't quite so thick. Live and learn. I've ordered molds with a goat on them for next batch. That should solve this issue.



1 comment:

  1. Good for you for making soap!!! Not as hard or scary as you thought, right? I order my lye from the Lye Guy on line. Very reasonable too. We have an international market in Chattanooga where I get my olive and palm oils from. I bet your soap smells so good too. I love lavender soap. And yours looks nice and hard already. I use anything I have on hand for molds too. And I never get a straight 4 oz. bar. Either too big or too little. Would love a "real" soap mold with dividers.

    ReplyDelete