Saturday, June 22, 2013

Mushrooms

It's been a whirlwind around here. I haven't sat long enough to update the blog.

I decided to go forward with my plan to downsize the flock. So far I've sold 1 roo and 3 hens. I would really like to sell some more. It's just too much work. Of course, I've sold out of eggs for the week and I'm hoping the girls lay enough for me to make ravioli!

How does chanterelle mushroom, goat cheese ravioli sound? We have had so much rain around here, the grass is squishy, the barn and coops are all mucky, I'm having a hard time keeping the Lamancha bucklings healthy, and the flies are a bit out of control. I was lamenting all this extra work as I was mucking out the barn (again) when my mom said "Um Kristin, you may want to come look at these orange mushrooms."

Sure enough, it was a patch of chanterelles. I was ecstatic. I have been searching for chanterelles here for 3 seasons! When I finished up my mucking, we took a walk around my land. There are Chanterelles everywhere. I feel so blessed.



The first night, I just sautéed them up in olive oil, garlic, butter, and lemon juice. Last night we got a little more creative and made stir fried noodles with chanterelles. I cut the butter and oil, used peanut instead of canola, and used some leftover fettuccine I had in the fridge. It was delicious. Especially with my favorite Korean eggplant side dish.

I mentioned in the beginning of this post that I'm trying to downsize birds.



Clay, our mallard, is sabotaging my efforts with 4 new ducklings. So cute- so need to go on Craigslist.

No comments:

Post a Comment