Thursday, July 3, 2014

Not Enough Hours in the Day



I'm still here and plugging along.

The Midland Community Farmers' Market is going great and keeping me very busy! I spend the majority of the day Wednesday and Friday prepping for the market.

Even though I swore I wouldn't after the heartache with the last milker and buckling I bought, I went and bought another milker along with the replacement buckling. This is Love Song. She has lived here almost two weeks now and everything is going well with her. My new buckling Rocco is great too!


I am getting about 5 gallons of milk a day now. That seems just about right to me. I could use one more regular milk customer, but until he/she comes along, I'll make more cheese!

I got the June DHIA test results back. I'm so proud of my girls! I couldn't believe the spike in butterfat. At first I thought the results must be wrong until I put it together that I've been feeding a few of my does extra sunflower seeds to put some meat on their bones. Apparently, they're putting the extra in the pail and not on their ribs!

The herd average jumped to a whopping 5.7% butterfat for June. Betty Buttercup topped the charts with 6.8% butterfat. That's more than double her May results.

I need to get my goat page updated here. I will be taking reservations for kids this year and will also have at least 3 milkers for sale come spring. I have some very beautiful show quality does and bucks now. Their kids will do anybody proud on the stand or in the show ring.

I've been doing a lot of mushroom hunting too. It has been fun to add edible species to my repertoire. This Bolete is edible, though I did not try it. I like to find it a few times and have it properly identified before I feel comfortable trying it.





The meat chicks arrived yesterday. I hope they made it through the night okay. We put them right out in the chicken tractor.


I'm late to milk now. Hope y'all have a wonderful day. Stay cool out there!

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I was beginning to think you would never blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your test, all your hard work. Seems to be paying off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the title of your post wholeheartedly ! Glad to see you back.

    ReplyDelete