Saturday, May 16, 2015

Wasting Food


In my searches for goats, I have come across a disturbing phenomenon. As a result of state bans on raw milk sales, many breeders just dump milk out. One breeder told me, "We dump 15 gallons a day on the ground".  I can think of so, so many people who could use that milk if only they were allowed.

We are fortunate to be in a state where I can sell my excess milk under a commercial feed "pet milk" license. My mama taught me not to waste food and we've wasted very little.

The cost of setting up a grade A facility is cost prohibitive for most people. I have roughly priced it out to be $200,000, if I can find used equipment. Not only that, I find the flavor and health benefits of my own raw milk far superior to processed milk.

It just seems to me that there ought to be a way to use all that beautiful food.


2 comments:

  1. Wow! What a waste. I would think they would at least feed it to some pigs or chickens.
    Kimberly

    ReplyDelete