Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pigs to the Processor


The Porcine Princesses are finally gone! I estimate that they lost about 15 pounds each over the last two weeks with the miserably cold weather we'd been having. I threw dry bedding in for them as much as a could, but with all the rain, they were basically living in a swamp. Some days, if they hadn't rooted out a dry spot, there was no place to throw the bedding. Note to self- do not have pigs ready for processing during deer season.

I was able to get off to my sister's in Savannah this week. Thank you Mom and Dad for holding down the farm so I could go. This meant that I missed the departure of the pigs, but it was nice to have a couple days off. Their new house is lovely and her kids have grown so much. I've missed them.

We made it to a yarn store in Savannah- Wild Fibre. There's a check off the ole bucket list. They have Thursday night "Wine and Knit". I wish they had something like that here, I'd be there with bells on. I picked up two skeins of merino sock yarn and am itching to get started with them. I've been slightly obsessing over patterns, but should probably just stick with this one I found that worked.


I'm nearly done with my first pair of handmade knit socks. They aren't the most beautiful thing in the world, but they're warm and they fit. The pattern I used has a little ribbing along each side that keeps the sock snug. The first sock I tried would have fit the elephant man.

I used some less expensive wool yarn from Hobby Lobby on these. The next pair will be with my fancy yarn. I'm not going to lie, I feel a bit ridiculous spending $30 and 40 hours on a pair of socks!

My new friend has two sheep and has dyed and carded their wool. She just needs to figure out how to spin it. It would be really fun to do some of these projects with local wool.


Onyx's back feet have been bothering her for the last few weeks. I don't know what the problem was. She kicks the stuffing out of me when I try to do her back hooves, so they were a little overgrown, but nothing bad. I managed to trim them up over a couple of days and spray them well with blu-kote. She seems to be doing much better now.






Less than two months until kidding starts! I can hardly wait.

1 comment:

  1. Impressive socks!!!!!
    Onyx's feet look pretty good. My girl looks feet are starting to look elfie. My husband usually does the trimming while I talk to and feed the goats. I get to do it by myself this time. For some reason when I try to do their feet they act like they are falling over :/ This should be fun, NOT!!!!
    I still have about 13 weeks before I get a new baby. Can't wait to see pics of your new kids. Hopefully this years kidding will be a little less stressful for both of us ;)

    ReplyDelete