Monday, February 24, 2014

Peeper



I heard cheeping when I let the silkies out this morning and found a poor little bird in a half-smashed egg. I brought her inside and started to gently pull the shrink-wrapped membrane off with plenty of warm water. 

Once released, the boys and I put the baby in the incubator and quickly heated it with my hairdryer. She's up and about now and nearly dried off. I really hope she makes it. We have had the worst luck with silkies. I'd estimate that 80% of the chicks have died in their first 48 hours of life. It gets so depressing throwing out so many dead peepers. I hope this little one makes it!

2 comments:

  1. Aww....So cute! Fingers crossed for it. Please show us another pic of it up and around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Baby Silkies are so tiny and cute!!! I had two half Silkie half bantam Cochins several months ago. Cutest things. They both have mohawks :)
    Good job on saving the little cutie!

    ReplyDelete