Thursday, February 27, 2014

Rendering Lard in the Crock Pot

My pigs cam home to freezer camp a couple days ago. I have more than I know what to do with, so if anyone is interested in pork chops or sausage, let me know.

I decided yesterday to render some of the lard. First my son and I cut it into about 1 inch pieces.

These we put into the crock pot with about 1/2 a cup of water.


We turned the crock pot on high and let it work for a few hours. When some of the fat had started to render out, I took a potato masher to it to break it into smaller pieces.


When most of the fat was rendered out (after about 6 hours), I strained the contents of the crock pot through cheesecloth.

The cracklins I put into a pan and slowly fried until they were golden brown and crispy.

Hubby has been talking about "cracklin cornbread" as long as I've known him. Now I can make him some.

The lard cooled to a nice pure white. I promised the boys I'd make them an apple pie.  I still have several packages of pig fat to render.

1 comment:

  1. I followed your instructions and rendered some from the fat you gave us. Those crackling's are delicious!! I've been sprinkling them on everything. And that beautiful lard will make the best piecrust. No hydrogenated fats for me! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete