The tomatoes are going to be a bust this year. The plants are so diseased from all this wet weather and the fruits are split and a bit watery from too much rain and not enough sun. I put in 4 roma plants, since those are the ones I most like to can, and I was sold imposters. I am so mad. Romas are determinate plants. What I got are indeterminate plants that are growing oblong shaped fruit like a large cherry tomato. They are not large enough to can and the plants are most diseased than any of my other plants. I hope I can find some romas this week.
I was able to check on the bees on Saturday. I was so worried after finding all those dead baby bees. It looks like they swarmed but they appear to have raised a new queen. I knew they were getting tight on brood space, but I'd been holding off on splitting or adding a brood box until they filled up this honey super! The weather didn't cooperate. They couldn't get out to forage to make more honey, but continued to outgrow their digs. So I now have half the bees, but at least they're alive. I only harvested about 1.5-2 gal honey. Not nearly what I'd hoped for, but I didn't want to lose it.
After all the hard work yesterday, I opened a bottle of mead I made last summer. It was excellent! I am excited to make a larger batch but am hesitant to use all my honey.
This is the recipe for 1 gallon. It may sound like mysterious stuff, but it's all available at your local brew store.
- 2.5 lb honey
- 7 pts water
- 4 tsp acid blend
- 1/4 tsp tannin
- 3/4 tsp yeast energizer
- 1 campden crushed
- 1 pkg wine yeast (I use champagne)