Saturday, July 27, 2013

More Cheese

My kids were away at Camp Meeting last week. Without two growing boys to help drink it, I had milk coming out my ears. What does one do with extra milk? Make cheese of course!

I traded one of my BFF's a gallon of cow for a gallon of goat just for some variety. Here's a Jersey pepperjack. I added some paprika to this one for pretty. I'm excited to compare it with the goat pepperjack I made last week. It's amazing how beautifully golden the curds are.


For something different, I made some Crottin. I've never had Crottin so wouldn't know if comes out right. I really don't care as long as it's good.

Cheese.com says:

Crottin de Chavignol cheese originates from Loire, Chavignol in France. It is produced from raw milk of the alpine goats which can be easily recognized by their brown thick coats.
It is one of those rarest cheeses that can be eaten at various stages of its maturity. It is often eaten clothed in fine herbs when fresh from the cheese vat. At this stage of maturing process, it has a creamy, nutty taste. After about six weeks, while its smell starts getting stronger, its pâté becomes dry and brittle. Moreover, a harder texture with a pronounced flavor starts to develop. Hereafter, the cheese continues to mature and the robust taste increases, but never gets sour. Its rind develops into a rough and hard layer over a period of time.

I only made a 1/2 gal batch because I only have 2 of these molds and I wanted to be sure it's something I like before I make more. I plan to try them in about 2 weeks.

Poor Kris at Outback Farm posted that her hive was infested with wax moths. I just harvested honey about 3 weeks ago and there weren't any moths then but I decided to check. Sure enough, wax moth infestation. I don't hold out much hope for my hive and at this point, don't think I'll try to replace it. This is 3 collapsed hives now. I can buy a whole lot of honey for what I have invested in this.

2 comments:

  1. It looks great!
    Your cheese making adventures is great motivation for me :)
    What kind of molds do you use? Did you make them or purchase them?

    Sorry to hear about your hive :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool ! Those are also great pictures !

    ReplyDelete