Wednesday, April 30, 2014

I'm Still Here!

Things have been a whirlwind around here. I can't believe it's been over a week since I last posted. The (human) kids have had standardized testing this week, which has meant I've been up before 5am milking in thunderstorms each morning.


Onyx moved to her new home last Wednesday. It's been nice not to have kicking during milking. Then Phoebe and her kids moved on Friday. The barn looks half empty! Never fear, Star (my new milker) and Deuce (my new buckling) are coming home this Friday.

This also means I'm having to bottle feed Onyx's kids. Feeding three kids is draining my milk fast, I have got to sell this bucklings. I just haven't had the time to list them!

I got the results back from my first ever DHI milk test. Alice took the prize with a chart topping 4.7% butterfat. Onyx was #2 which surprised me- I would have guessed Trixie. Trixie had the highest protein by far which may be why her milk seems to creamy to me.

 Alice has also adopted Kat's buckling, which is really annoying. No milk for me in the evenings now! Buckling needs a new home. She also lets the other kids have a sip while this boy is nursing.

I've been trying my best to fit cheese making into everything else. Here are two goudas I made last week. I waxed them today.


I ordered a new cheese press on 4/21. I received a tracking number 4/22 but I still don't have the thing and the USPS hasn't updated data on it. I sure hope it gets here soon. I have hopelessly outgrown my original spring press.

1 comment:

  1. I thought about you today! I figured you were busy with the farmers market and life :) Hope you sell your bucklings soon. I was just looking at our setup. Now that I have another girl we need to expand, the hubs isn't going to like that, lol!!!

    ReplyDelete