Sunday, January 13, 2013

Play Dates


This is not really a farm related topic, but it's something that's been bothering me and I've been thinking a lot about it since the kids asked if "So-and-So" can come play today after church.

Why do people never invite my kids over to play?

I have kids come and play at least every other week. For a while there, I had a child come play every week! And not just come here, we went bike riding, we went out for icecream, we went to visit other farms.

Is it really so much to ask to invite my boys once and a while?

Do other people just not ever have kids over to play? I can't believe that's the case. I hear other kids talk about going to people's houses.

Do people just not want to invite both of my boys since they are twins?  I've had many siblings over.

Do they think my boys won't have fun since they don't live on a farm? Kids are happy for a change of scenery and to play with someone else's toys. I guarantee, mine do not care if you live on a farm or in a shack, they just want to hang with their friends.

I can count on one hand the number of times they've been invited to someone's house to play and it would take more fingers and toes than I have to count those I'm invited here.

I don't mind having kids come play. My boys love it and I like introducing children to experiences around a farm that they've never had. I think it's good for kids to have other adults invest in them.

It's not good for me to start feeling resentful because nobody reciprocates or for my kids to start wondering why nobody ever invites them over.

No comments:

Post a Comment