Sunday, October 27, 2013

Clucky Lucky

Our little "tetra tint" pullet, Lucky,  disappeared this week. We got her from TSC this spring. She's some kind of leghorn mix that lays brown eggs. After a couple days MIA, she turned up! Broody! Behind all the hay in the loft.

First off, what bird goes broody in October. Secondly, what kind of leghorn goes broody at all?



Lucky is sitting on a clutch of 10 eggs now. I'm going to have to figure out how to get them all down from the loft when they hatch.

I finally got around to making some homemade English muffins. I've been meaning to try it forever. I love them, but they are so expensive at the store and we try to eat only homemade bread using freshly ground wheat. Wide mouth canning lids make the perfect forms, but it took a little practice to determine just how much dough needed to go in each one.


It's been cold here so I've cranked up the wood stove. The kitty cats are in heaven!



That black mass on the green rug is actually another cat.

Can anyone identify this creepy crawly? He was down in by the buck pen. Florescent green and about as big as my thumb. 



4 comments:

  1. Is it a tomato horn worm? They are the same color as tomato plants and fat!

    I just had six baby chicks hatch today. My little bantam started sitting and about a week in was too small to cover all 18 eggs so one of my big red hens took over. So far I think three of them are Giant Cochin/Silkie mixes. They are sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a Luna Moth caterpillar! I can't wait to see pics of your chicks.

      Delete
  2. Hard to believe you already have the wood stove going down there already. It's been crazy weather here so far. Cold one day, hot as h*** the next. I turned off the heat yesterday because we're back up in the 70's again. Who knows anymore. Just crazy. And as for the hen setting on the eggs. She is far better to take care of chicks this time of year than we are. She will keep them so warm. Can't wait to see pics now of fluffy little chicks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week we were in the 30's and 40's at night. This week it's been 80 each day. I'll take the warm weather for sure! It's nice to have windows open and be able to conserve wood.

      Delete