Thursday, October 3, 2013

Fall Garden


....ss nearly in! I have to get some of the seedlings transplanted into the garden, but they're not big enough yet, so Mom is still babying them on her deck. The lettuces are starting to come up. I have garlic, onions, beets, carrots, collards, swiss chard, and broccoli-rabe planted.

The eggplant, peppers, and butterbeans are still growing like crazy. With such a rough summer, I'm hoping for a very late freeze. We've picked butterbeans in December before. That would be nice.

 

The weather here has been glorious and I've tried to spend most of my time outside. Not hard to do, but some of my inside projects are suffering a bit. Case in point, the 4 or 5 gallons of milk in the fridge. I filled out the paperwork for my pet milk license, but it would only be good until Dec 31. Then I'd have to renew at the cost of another $125. I'm not sure I can make enough selling milk in the next 2 months to justify that, especially as the goaty girls will continue to slow down production.

Kat is really drying up on me. She's down to a bit over a pint a day. I guess I should just count my blessings that even though she didn't freshen last spring, she continued giving a quart of milk a day. I am debating drying her up completely, but then I think of last winter when her quart a day was the only thing getting us through. I may wish I had that pint come January.  I'm debating going to a once a day milking now and really freeing up my evenings. I'm just such a glutton for dairy.


I cut into a Reblochon yesterday. Since I've never had Reblochon, I'm not sure how accurate my attempt at it is. Once it warmed up, it got nice and oozy under the rind. It was creamy and buttery with a slight bite from the rind at the finish.


We had one of those frozen steak sellers come down the driveway yesterday. This guy was all tattooed up and looked like he'd just escaped from the local jail. When is this tattoo craze going to end? Don't get me started. Anyway, I just looked at him like he was nuts when he tried to sell me meat. I asked if somehow he missed seeing the pigs, chickens, geese, goats, etc. when he came down the driveway.

Y'all have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment