Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Fodder: Day 4

Day 4 is here. Since most people don't count the soaking day, this could actually be considered Day 3. I spread the oats out in a pan. This disposable roasting pan was the best thing I had on hand. If this experiment works out, I'll invest in some infrastructure to make this process easier.


As you can see, most of the seeds have roots now and several have shoots starting.

The wheat is now in the "clam shells" to germinate. My son had a Little League game last night, so it soaked a little longer than I'd intended (24 hours instead of 12).

Here are some resources I found on fodder. 
This system looks easy and interesting: http://www.half-pinthomestead.com/FodderKits.html
Some good info on using fodder for dairy goats: http://www.dairygoatinfo.com/f19/fodder-systems-31673/

 
Scilla is still keeping those babies in. Today is day 152. I swear she's waiting for Phoebe to beat her again this year!


Her udder this morning-

1 comment:

  1. Cute picture :) I spent yesterday afternoon with my doe. She is such a silly girl and so loving. I still have 42 days to wait and yes I'm counting them down lol!!!! I hope she has a doe this time. My herd needs to grow :)

    ReplyDelete