Sunday, March 30, 2014

Milking Machine Cleanup

Sandra asked me about cleanup on the milking machine. One thing I didn't want to do is replace all the time I was saving on milking with time spent on cleanup. Yards of hoses filled with milk? No thank you.

That's why I decided on the Hoegger Supply Bucket Pail system. This is what I have to clean each day:

A stainless pail.

The pail lid with inflations.


The milk does not run through the hoses on the inflations, only through the inflations themselves.


This is what the pail looks like assembled. There are two vacuum lines that attach to the pail and run to the vacuum pump. Only air goes through these lines, so they don't need daily washing.

The little pail sits on the milking stand under your doe and the inflations reach up to her teats. I am finding this challenging on my mini-mancha, Trixie,  since she is so short, but am having no trouble on my standard sized does.  I think with a little more practice, I'll have it working for Trixie too.


The instructions say that the entire pail, lid, and inflations are dishwasher safe. There is a little piece to attach to get water from getting in the vacuum line part of the inflation if you decide to toss it in on the top shelf. I'm finding that washing it takes no longer than washing up my pail, jars, and little hand pump from hand milking. I think I'll keep washing it in the sink instead of taking up the room in the dishwasher.

The pail holds 6 quarts, so once my girls are all up and running, I may have to empty it a couple of times between does.



7 comments:

  1. Kristin,
    Thanks so much for the explanation!
    Sounds like a great milker!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy-peasy and this way I can expend the herd. Hand milking 6 was my max!

      Delete
  2. Cool milker! I wish I had so many does I needed one :) My hands are hurting thinking about getting back into milking.....Can't wait though ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how you manage to hold onto your milk! I have people begging me for it constantly. I could have 20 does and still sell out.

      Delete
  3. I sure hope you meant EXPAND the herd since I really don't think your herd is EXPENDABLE! Sometimes typos are hilarious. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you sharing with us. Anyone from you want to know more details about the Milking Machine likes its working, cost and much more then you can follow the link and watch the video.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Milking Machine makes it very efficient in operations of dairy processing plant. It also saves times and manpower as compared to traditional methods. Visit our website to get a milking machine

    ReplyDelete