Saturday, March 15, 2014

Fodder: Day 7

Better late than never. My son is playing Little League this spring, and as seriously as they take it down here, you'd think he was playing for the Atlanta Braves. Too bad he doesn't get that paycheck.

That said, his team is 3-0 and is playing the only other undefeated team on Monday. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm really excited to be sitting at the ball field all evening. Heavens knows when I'll get all my animals fed and locked up for the night, but I'm sure I'll figure something out.

Yes. Fodder.

Here is the wheat. I think this is day 3 or 4 on it. I'd have to go back and check old posts to be sure, but I'm tired and that can wait for tomorrow.  


This is my first tray of oats. Certainly not the germination nor growth rate I'm seeing in the wheat.



These guys really should be ready to feed tomorrow, but I'm feeling like they could use another day or two.



I still haven't called the feed store about barley, but if it does even better than the wheat and the girls like it, I'm sold. I brought a sample of these oats out yesterday and all the goats loved it.

If after a couple weeks, I find that this can replace most, if not all, of their grain ration, I will invest in one of the automatic systems I posted a couple days ago. Since I've been paying around $17 a bag for goat feed, the $250 that will cost me won't take too long to break even. In the meantime, I'll know my girls aren't eating any GMO who-knows-what.


No comments:

Post a Comment